The BaseKit cPanel plugin allows hosting companies to offer BaseKit website builder to their customers via cPanel. The plugin makes it easy to bundle BaseKit with hosting plans, and takes care of all the technical aspects of integration. This eliminates the need for development work and reduces the time to market.
How it works
The BaseKit cPanel plugin provides a simple UI to your users that will enable them to easily activate a BaseKit account and create and manage one or more websites.
The cPanel plugin talks to a BaseKit environment via the API. You configure the plugin by providing the API URL and credentials of the environment on which your users’ sites will be created and edited.
The BaseKit cPanel plugin does not include any billing functionality. It is intended that a BaseKit website will be bundled with a paid hosting package represented by a cPanel plan. This user may be billed via WHMCS or any other similar platform, but this sits outside of the scope of this plugin.
The cPanel plugin is designed to provision BaseKit packages that correspond to cPanel plans; when a user activates BaseKit, the package provisioned will mirror the cPanel plan.
- XYZ Hosting Company offers three hosting plans to their users that are represented by cPanel plans named Bronze, Silver and Gold.
- BaseKit packages named Bronze, Silver and Gold are created to mirror the cPanel plans.
- When a user activates BaseKit, the package provisioned will mirror the cPanel plan:
- If a user on the Bronze cPanel plan activates BaseKit, the cPanel plugin will provision a Bronze BaseKit package.
- If a user on the Silver cPanel plan activates BaseKit, the cPanel plugin will provision a Silver BaseKit package.
- If a user on the Gold cPanel plan activates BaseKit, the cPanel plugin will provision a Gold BaseKit package.
By clicking the Activate button, a new BaseKit user account and site is provisioned. A default domain is mapped to the site with the following format:
For example, for cPanel username
basekit and brand domain
branddomain.com the default domain would be
If a user has already activated, they will see a list of their BaseKit sites. Next to each site there are three options:
- Log in: log in and redirect the user to the BaseKit website editor.
- Manage: redirect the user to the site management page which offers several functions (see below).
- Delete: permanently delete the BaseKit site.
There are two major functions that can be performed here:
Users can point any of their cPanel-managed domains to a BaseKit site with a single click. The domain’s DNS records are automatically created and the domain should be immediately ready to be used.
If the user has already published their BaseKit site then they can toggle it online and offline by clicking the button.
Note as of v1.4.0 of the plugin only the paper lantern theme is supported, cPanel have now removed support for the X3 theme
To install the plugin on a WHM server, download the latest version of the cPanel plugin, copy it to the server, and then follow these steps:
You should now have the cPanel plugin installed and accessible via WHM. The next step is to configure it so that it is linked to your BaseKit environment.
Log in to WHM as the root user and go to the BaseKit Configuration page in the Plugins section. You will need to fill in all of the fields. If you don’t know what you should enter here then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The WHM configuration includes one BaseKit package reference, and this is the package that will be provisioned when a user activates BaseKit from cPanel.
To support multiple BaseKit packages, where each cPanel plan is associated to a BaseKit package, you will need to
provide the mappings in JSON format. The file should be called
map.json and reside at
The format of the file is as follows:
The left hand strings should be the cPanel plan names. You can find these in WHM. The right hand numbers are the BaseKit package references corresponding with the cPanel plan names.
In the above example, users on the cPanel plan named cpanel_plan_1 will be provisioned with the BaseKit package reference 123, and users on the cPanel plan named cpanel_plan_2 will be provisioned with the BaseKit package reference 456.